Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sneaking a little healthy in... under the chocolate that is.

My daughter is by far THE pickiest eater I know (the runner up is probably me, hey - at least I'm honest). Luckily she does great with fruits, veggies, chicken, turkey and dairy, so honestly it could be worse. I don't think I have EVER managed to get any red meat in her - before she was two she was picking the ground beef out of spaghetti sauce. She's also dead set against trying any new foods - heck, even new candy gets rejected. And, she loves her sweets and carbs (bir-cake - for birthday cake - was literally her 3rd word, right after "no" and "mama"), so I'm always trying to find a way to balance it all. I've picked up both of the "hiding purees in your kid's food" books (sweet potatoes & carrots in the mac & cheese is big around here, as well as pureed white beans tucked into mashed potatoes).

Last week I set out to find a "healthy" but very tasty muffin recipe. I have a few good ones (pumpkin in particular) but she's already rejected those - all it takes is her finding one nut or one piece of oatmeal, and that food is OUT of rotation, even if I remove them the next time. Well, I managed to find a recipe that was easy to alter, had tons of positive reviews, and it came out delish.

I altered it by using all white whole wheat flour, oat flour in place of the cooking oats and oat bran, flax seed meal in place of the wheat germ, egg beaters for the eggs, and mini chocolate chips instead of the blueberries (hey, I wanted her to WANT to eat these!). I also added a scoop of some protein powder, just for kicks. :) Bella thinks they are some decadent treat she's having the good fortune to eat (I think the mini-chocolate chips should take credit for that one). Mission accomplished. Sure, they aren't exactly like sitting down and eating a plate of green beans, but with protein and whole grains, they sure beat the other snacks she typically requests.

No comments: