Sunday, July 13, 2008

Summer...

It seems like summer is flying by. Well, as fast as something can fly by when you live in the desert and the daily 110+ degree heat that is. We had a little break from the heat up in Pinetop, AZ for the Fourth of July. We spent the holiday with my parents, grandparents, siblings, niece and nephews. It's become an annual tradition that we really enjoy. Not only do we get away from the heat, but we get to leave the hussle and bussle of "city" life behind for a few days. We watch the small town parade, take the kids for little horseback rides, race go-karts, play a few rounds of horse-shoes, eat ice cream on a big old blanket while watching fireworks, and just enjoy being outside.

Bella had a blast, she's usually quick to try adventerous things, and was THRILLED to get to ride in a go-kart for the first time. I fear my darling daughter will want to sky-dive at age 12 - she's an adrenaline junkie! Reports from the track were that she was screaming "Go faster Grandpa we need to WIN!". Did I mention she's a bit competitive as well?


She was very excited to go horseback riding again this year. It's more like a quick stroll through the parking lot at the stables at this age, but it's enjoyed just the same.


The parade was cute as always, though Bella and her cousin seemed to only care about one thing, the candy being thrown out. My sister and I joked (kind of) that next year we could just stay home and throw candy at them and they'd probably be just as happy.
Wow, I look at that photo and swear that five is the age where there's no baby, no toddler, no preschooler left in them, it's all kid now. Sigh.

While I have been working this summer, Bella has been having a blast at a summer dance intensive at her dance studio. She absolutely loves it. I was a bit worried that dancing most of the day would be too tiring (ha!) or become boring, but nope - she's loving it.
Each week has had a theme, and so far last week's was my favorite... "The 80's". Each Friday they do a performance for the parents, and she dressed up as an "80's girl". She loved it - bright crazy colors are so her. She performed to "Two of Hearts" "We're The Kids In America" and "She's Got The Look". Adorable.

She's enjoyed her dance time so much this summer that we are thinking of letting her try out for the dance studio's performance company. She was in pre-company this past year, and enjoys and looks forward to every peformance, so I think it'll be a really positive outlet for her.

This weekend we celebrated my birthday. Low key but really enjoyable.
Rick took Bella shopping and I guess she wanted to buy me jewelry (of course!). Her style is a bit more, well, colorful, then mine is. So Rick took her to Claire's and let her pick me out five things. She was so excited to give them to me - they are all QUITE colorful, but really quite cute. I've worn them the past two days which has thrilled her. She's already begging to wear them, so I'm thinking she had a master plan that included her wearing each piece. Just maybe. Rick totally surprised me with a gorgeous new Michael Kors handbag. I'm a sucker for animal prints, and this one is just stunning. He did a fabulous job. :) Love love love it!
We finished off the weekend having dinner at El Encanto, a really unique restaurant in Cave Creek. They have a duck pond in the center of the patio area - filled with not only ducks, but turtles, koi and a big old goose. I was a bit worried, I mean outdoor dining in the summer here is not very appealing, but we really lucked out. Clouds came in along with a slight breeze, and the temperature dropped into the 80s. Certainly a rare treat in July.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your new purse, can't wait to see it on Thursday!

And I think the kids' fascination with candy at the parade is totally normal! That was pretty much all I cared about as a child at the 4th of July parade. LOL.

Sounds like an awesome holiday weekend.